Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Editors large and small

Now that the makers of RStudio added seemingly all of the features it was missing, both minor (bracket matching) and major (project manager and version control), their product is officially perfect. It's truly amazing. It basically has all of the functionality of Eclipse with StatET but is much easier to install and runs R code much faster in interactive mode.

Speaking of speed though: sometimes it's still not quite fast enough. This means there's sometimes a need for me to have a backup solution: something that would be a decent code editor (i.e. have at least syntax highlighting, an object browser, and block commenting/uncommenting of code lines), while allowing me to push code to R terminal in order to run it. I did try Emacs and Vim but quickly gave up. It may very well be true that they're much better than everything else, but I'm not a programmer, I'm just a data analyst, so forgive me for thinking that a code editor should be something that makes my life easier right now as opposed to five months down the line. I've also tried Tinn-R but that was a disappointment: it doesn't have an object browser and the interface is horribly cluttered.

I did finally find a good piecemeal solution though: Notepad++ with NppToR, with object browsing via this simple function written by Petr Pikal. Here's a screenshot:


It works well. Still, I don't use it unless I absolutely have to. RStudio is just so much more convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment