Saturday, July 28, 2012

Warum hast du Angst vor mir?

I was taking my three-year-old Polish Lowland Sheepdog for a night walk. There was a middle-aged woman walking our way on the sidewalk; she was pushing a shopping cart filled with plastic bags filled with stuff. When she was passing me, my dog got really nervous. She's naturally wary of all strangers, and did not like the woman at all; she moved across the sidewalk to be as far away from the woman as possible. Seeing which, the woman said, 'Why are you afraid of me?' Only, she said it in German. (The translation is this post's title, in case you were wondering.) Which for some reason totally floored me. Only in New York, I thought quite nonsensically.

When I relayed the incident to my wife, she said, 'Well, she is a Polish sheepdog after all, so no wonder she's afraid of Germans.'

No comments:

Post a Comment