Wednesday, December 7, 2011

God's name

I contend that the sum total of individual consciousness is the bare feeling of existence, expressed by the primal utterance, I am. Anything else is either hardware or software, and can be changed or dispensed with. Only the single thought I am ties me to the person I was twenty years ago. 
The curious thing is that you must express your individual consciousness in the same words that I use: I am. I am me. I exist. (...) What conclusion might one draw from the fact that your essential consciousness and my essential consciousness are expressed in the same words? Perhaps it is reasonable to suppose that there is really only one consciousness, that individual humans are simply disparate faces of what the classic mystic tradition calls the One.
--Rudy Rucker, Infinity and the Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment